Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

12

Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Mohamed Tleis
In order to copy my built plugin directly to the imageJ/plugins folder; I was trying to set the imagej.app.directory in the POM file as follows:
        <properties>
            <imagej.app.directory>/usr/share/imagej/plugins</imagej.app.directory>
        </properties>
Netbeans automatically trys to copy the compiled jar to "jars" folder inside the specified directory. Do you have any idea how to configure Netbeans to copy to plugins instead of jars?

Previously in this list, another user faced the same issue, but the solution was not discussed.
http://imagej.net/pipermail/imagej-devel/2013-January/001368.html

Best Regards,
M. Tleis

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Christopher Coulon
In order to copy my built plugin directly to the imageJ/plugins folder; I was trying to set the imagej.app.directory in the POM file as follows:
        <properties>
            <imagej.app.directory>/usr/share/imagej/plugins</imagej.app.directory>
        </properties>
Netbeans automatically trys to copy the compiled jar to "jars" folder inside the specified directory. Do you have any idea how to configure Netbeans to copy to plugins instead of jars?

Previously in this list, another user faced the same issue, but the solution was not discussed.
http://imagej.net/pipermail/imagej-devel/2013-January/001368.html

Best Regards,
M. Tleis

Sorry I haven't mastered all the intricacies of Netbeans, so I can't answer your question, although I suspect it may be addressed with a change in the script of your build.xml file.  However, this would be a great improvement for my project too, so if someone is kind enough to provide an answer, I would be grateful if you could share the solution with me.  :-)

Thanks,

Chris Coulon

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

dscho
Administrator
Hi Mohamed,

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Mohamed Tleis wrote:

> <imagej.app.directory>/usr/share/imagej/plugins</imagej.app.directory>

ImageJ.app is the directory containing the plugins/ directory. Not the
plugins/ directory.

Ciao,
Johannes

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Hi Chris,

> this would be a great improvement for my project too, so if someone is
> kind enough to provide an answer, I would be grateful if you could
> share the solution with me.

I am bit confused on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to develop plugins for ImageJ 1.x, the current stable release used by many thousands of scientists -- or ImageJ 2.x, for the next generation of N-dimensional image data, which is still in beta?

Please note that material on developer.imagej.net is all about ImageJ2, whereas material on imagej.net is all about ImageJ1. For more details on the differences, please see: http://developer.imagej.net/flavors

The screencast that Johannes recently created (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac-6gJ2eRb0) is all about developing ImageJ1 plugins, which is probably a better target for algorithms you want to get into the hands of many users ASAP. [1]

[1]  Fiji will soon support ImageJ2 commands out of the box, but it does not do so yet. Until ImageJ2 comes out of beta, ImageJ1 is a more stable development target for plugins, unless you need ImageJ2's new features for your work.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Curtis,

ImageJ 1.x is what I'm developing my project in.

Chris

On Jun 25, 2013, at 12:30 PM, Curtis Rueden wrote:

Hi Chris,

> this would be a great improvement for my project too, so if someone is
> kind enough to provide an answer, I would be grateful if you could
> share the solution with me.

I am bit confused on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to develop plugins for ImageJ 1.x, the current stable release used by many thousands of scientists -- or ImageJ 2.x, for the next generation of N-dimensional image data, which is still in beta?

Please note that material on developer.imagej.net is all about ImageJ2, whereas material on imagej.net is all about ImageJ1. For more details on the differences, please see: http://developer.imagej.net/flavors

The screencast that Johannes recently created (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac-6gJ2eRb0) is all about developing ImageJ1 plugins, which is probably a better target for algorithms you want to get into the hands of many users ASAP. [1]

[1]  Fiji will soon support ImageJ2 commands out of the box, but it does not do so yet. Until ImageJ2 comes out of beta, ImageJ1 is a more stable development target for plugins, unless you need ImageJ2's new features for your work.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
In order to copy my built plugin directly to the imageJ/plugins folder; I was trying to set the imagej.app.directory in the POM file as follows:
        <properties>
            <imagej.app.directory>/usr/share/imagej/plugins</imagej.app.directory>
        </properties>
Netbeans automatically trys to copy the compiled jar to "jars" folder inside the specified directory. Do you have any idea how to configure Netbeans to copy to plugins instead of jars?

Previously in this list, another user faced the same issue, but the solution was not discussed.
http://imagej.net/pipermail/imagej-devel/2013-January/001368.html

Best Regards,
M. Tleis

Sorry I haven't mastered all the intricacies of Netbeans, so I can't answer your question, although I suspect it may be addressed with a change in the script of your build.xml file.  However, this would be a great improvement for my project too, so if someone is kind enough to provide an answer, I would be grateful if you could share the solution with me.  :-)

Thanks,

Chris Coulon

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Curtis Rueden
Hi Chris,

> ImageJ 1.x is what I'm developing my project in.

OK. Please note that Mohamed is developing against ImageJ2, so answers to his questions are probably not applicable to you, then. If you have a specific question about NetBeans + ImageJ1 that you would like addressed, feel free to reframe it here and we can try to help.

P.S. I updated the front page of http://developer.imagej.net/ to be clearer about the nature of these two projects.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Curtis,

ImageJ 1.x is what I'm developing my project in.

Chris

On Jun 25, 2013, at 12:30 PM, Curtis Rueden wrote:

Hi Chris,

> this would be a great improvement for my project too, so if someone is
> kind enough to provide an answer, I would be grateful if you could
> share the solution with me.

I am bit confused on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to develop plugins for ImageJ 1.x, the current stable release used by many thousands of scientists -- or ImageJ 2.x, for the next generation of N-dimensional image data, which is still in beta?

Please note that material on developer.imagej.net is all about ImageJ2, whereas material on imagej.net is all about ImageJ1. For more details on the differences, please see: http://developer.imagej.net/flavors

The screencast that Johannes recently created (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac-6gJ2eRb0) is all about developing ImageJ1 plugins, which is probably a better target for algorithms you want to get into the hands of many users ASAP. [1]

[1]  Fiji will soon support ImageJ2 commands out of the box, but it does not do so yet. Until ImageJ2 comes out of beta, ImageJ1 is a more stable development target for plugins, unless you need ImageJ2's new features for your work.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
In order to copy my built plugin directly to the imageJ/plugins folder; I was trying to set the imagej.app.directory in the POM file as follows:
        <properties>
            <imagej.app.directory>/usr/share/imagej/plugins</imagej.app.directory>
        </properties>
Netbeans automatically trys to copy the compiled jar to "jars" folder inside the specified directory. Do you have any idea how to configure Netbeans to copy to plugins instead of jars?

Previously in this list, another user faced the same issue, but the solution was not discussed.
http://imagej.net/pipermail/imagej-devel/2013-January/001368.html

Best Regards,
M. Tleis

Sorry I haven't mastered all the intricacies of Netbeans, so I can't answer your question, although I suspect it may be addressed with a change in the script of your build.xml file.  However, this would be a great improvement for my project too, so if someone is kind enough to provide an answer, I would be grateful if you could share the solution with me.  :-)

Thanks,

Chris Coulon

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Christopher Coulon
 If you have a specific question about NetBeans + ImageJ1 that you would like addressed, feel free to reframe it here and we can try to help.

OK, thanks.  The screencast that Johannes recently created (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac-6gJ2eRb0) is working for me now -- at last!  Thank you Johannes and thank you Curtis!  :-)

I don't understand how to change the name of the jar file created in the Netbeans build.  It currently builds a jar file called APC_.jar.  The only place I can see that name is in the pom.xml in my project's Project Files.

If I change that name to anything else, I get errors in all my java files that use a JFrame Form.  The error is :

package org.jdesktop.layout does not exist

even though the swing-layout-1.0.3.jar (which contains org.jdesktop.layout) is in my project dependencies.  So if I change the artifactId to anything else, or if I change the version from 1.0.0 to 0.1.0, I get the errors.

So in my Projects under Dependencies I have the APC_.jar with its version (APC_-1.0.0.jar), while in my Files>target:

I have A_Postcard-0.1.0.jar -- the name of my project and the name of the jar I prefer.

Is there any way to name the jar file in the Dependencies A_Postcard?

Thanks.

Chris Coulon

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Curtis Rueden
Hi Chris,

> I don't understand how to change the name of the jar file created in
> the Netbeans build.  It currently builds a jar file called APC_.jar.
> The only place I can see that name is in the pom.xml in my project's
> Project Files.

As shown in the screencast, just change the <artifactId> of the project itself. Note that this is *not* one of the <artifactId> values within the <dependencies> block, but rather the <artifactId> immediately beneath <project>, towards the very top of the POM.

Also as shown in the screencast, after editing your POM, NetBeans should magically update itself to match the new information there. In my experience, it works pretty well, but if you run into trouble, try quitting and restarting NetBeans.

> package org.jdesktop.layout does not exist
> even though the swing-layout-1.0.3.jar (which contains
> org.jdesktop.layout) is in my project dependencies.

You must add a dependency to the proper GAV in your POM. In this case, it is:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.swinglabs</groupId>
  <artifactId>swing-layout</artifactId>
  <version>1.0.3</version>
</dependency>

In general, to search for dependencies, you can use the site:

> So in my Projects under Dependencies I have the APC_.jar with its
> version (APC_-1.0.0.jar)

I don't know where that APC_ artifact came from, but I suggest you remove it, since it is not an actual dependency of your project.

I also highly encourage you to read through the following article to get an overview of the Maven POM, as well as how to locate needed dependencies for your project:

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Christopher Coulon wrote:

> I don't understand how to change the name of the jar file created in the
> Netbeans build.  It currently builds a jar file called APC_.jar.  The
> only place I can see that name is in the pom.xml in my project's Project
> Files.
>
> If I change that name to anything else, I get errors in all my java
> files that use a JFrame Form.  The error is :
>
> package org.jdesktop.layout does not exist

Hmm. It would be easier to help if you had this on GitHub: that way, I
could quickly check it out, make fixes and open a pull request with
detailed commit messages.

Any chance you can put it on GitHub?

Ciao,
Johannes

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Christopher Coulon
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Christopher Coulon wrote:
>
>> I don't understand how to change the name of the jar file created in the
>> Netbeans build.  It currently builds a jar file called APC_.jar.  The
>> only place I can see that name is in the pom.xml in my project's Project
>> Files.
>>
>> If I change that name to anything else, I get errors in all my java
>> files that use a JFrame Form.  The error is :
>>
>> package org.jdesktop.layout does not exist
>
> Hmm. It would be easier to help if you had this on GitHub: that way, I
> could quickly check it out, make fixes and open a pull request with
> detailed commit messages.
>
> Any chance you can put it on GitHub?

Of course.  If you could show me how to do that, I would be delighted! :-)

Chris

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Christopher Coulon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Christopher Coulon wrote:
>
>> I don't understand how to change the name of the jar file created in the
>> Netbeans build.  It currently builds a jar file called APC_.jar.  The
>> only place I can see that name is in the pom.xml in my project's Project
>> Files.
>>
>> If I change that name to anything else, I get errors in all my java
>> files that use a JFrame Form.  The error is :
>>
>> package org.jdesktop.layout does not exist
>
> Hmm. It would be easier to help if you had this on GitHub: that way, I
> could quickly check it out, make fixes and open a pull request with
> detailed commit messages.
>
> Any chance you can put it on GitHub?

Of course.  If you could show me how to do that, I would be delighted! :-)

Chris

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Christopher Coulon
> I don't understand how to change the name of the jar file created in
> the Netbeans build.  It currently builds a jar file called APC_.jar.
> The only place I can see that name is in the pom.xml in my project's
> Project Files.

As shown in the screencast, just change the <artifactId> of the project itself. Note that this is *not* one of the <artifactId> values within the <dependencies> block, but rather the <artifactId> immediately beneath <project>, towards the very top of the POM.

The <artifact> of the project is already changed in line 15:

The problem lies between lines 27 and 32.  Should I delete those?

Also as shown in the screencast, after editing your POM, NetBeans should magically update itself to match the new information there. In my experience, it works pretty well, but if you run into trouble, try quitting and restarting NetBeans.

Well, it magically updates with the errors if I change line 29 from APC_ to A_Postcard, but yesterday I got odd errors which magically went away when I restarted Netbeans.

> package org.jdesktop.layout does not exist
> even though the swing-layout-1.0.3.jar (which contains
> org.jdesktop.layout) is in my project dependencies.

You must add a dependency to the proper GAV in your POM. In this case, it is:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.swinglabs</groupId>
  <artifactId>swing-layout</artifactId>
  <version>1.0.3</version>
</dependency>

These errors do not occur with the pom.xml as shown above, and the project runs with Netbeans debug or run, but again, nothing appears under the ImageJ plugins menu, even though there are several classes with underscores in their names.  Also, in the Files>target (which is grayed out) the classes contain both class and java files and there are two jar files, A_Postcard-0.1.0.jar and Process_Pixels-1.0.0.jar.  The A_Postcard contains a small test class that just says, "It works!" when run, and I deleted that file right after I setup and tested my new project, so clearly that A_Postcard-0.1.0.jar file is a residue from when I first set up the project yesterday.

In general, to search for dependencies, you can use the site:

> So in my Projects under Dependencies I have the APC_.jar with its
> version (APC_-1.0.0.jar)

I don't know where that APC_ artifact came from, but I suggest you remove it, since it is not an actual dependency of your project.

I don't know either.  Should I remove lines 27 through 32, i.e.,

<dependency>
 <groupId>sc.fiji</groupId>
 <artifactId>APC_</artifactId>
 <version>1.0.0</version>
 <type>jar</type>
</dependency>

Removing it gives me the org.jdesktop.layout.GroupLayout errors again, and adding the dependencies

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.swinglabs</groupId>
  <artifactId>swing-layout</artifactId>
  <version>1.0.3</version>
</dependency>

does not get rid of the errors.  The errors go away only if I replace the lines to the screenshot above.

I also highly encourage you to read through the following article to get an overview of the Maven POM, as well as how to locate needed dependencies for your project:

OK, I read it and am trying to understand how it relates to my problem...

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Christopher Coulon
Hi Chris,

> > Any chance you can put it on GitHub?
>
> Of course.  If you could show me how to do that, I would be delighted!

I set up ad1054/Postcards on GitHub, but I don't see how to put my project there.

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Hi Chris,

The problem lies between lines 27 and 32.  Should I delete those?

Yes. That is erroneous. I have no idea what APC_ is, or why you would want to depend on it. Delete it.

it magically updates with the errors if I change line 29 from APC_ to A_Postcard

Your project is A_Postcard. You do not want it to *depend* on A_Postcard, because then it would be depending on itself, which would obviously be an error.

even though there are several classes with underscores in their names

Your artifactId needs an underscore, so that the JAR has an underscore, which it does have. But you still need a plugins.config, too. Did you edit the plugins.config as shown in the screencast?

I set up ad1054/Postcards on GitHub, but I don't see how to put my project there.

Read the guide, step 3, "push your commit":

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.swinglabs</groupId>
  <artifactId>swing-layout</artifactId>
  <version>1.0.3</version>
</dependency>

does not get rid of the errors.  The errors go away only if I replace the lines to the screenshot above.

I also highly encourage you to read through the following article to get an overview of the Maven POM, as well as how to locate needed dependencies for your project:

OK, I read it and am trying to understand how it relates to my problem...

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Christopher Coulon
Hi Chris,

The problem lies between lines 27 and 32.  Should I delete those?

Yes. That is erroneous. I have no idea what APC_ is, or why you would want to depend on it. Delete it.

It was simply my old name for the project.  I deleted it, but now I have the errors again:

Your artifactId needs an underscore, so that the JAR has an underscore, which it does have. But you still need a plugins.config, too. Did you edit the plugins.config as shown in the screencast?

Yes.  My plugins.config looks like this:

# Name: A_Postcard
# Author: The GAIA Group
# Version: 0.1.0

File, "Postcard", A_Postcard

I set up ad1054/Postcards on GitHub, but I don't see how to put my project there.

Read the guide, step 3, "push your commit":

OK, clearly I'm lost here.  I clicked the "Create repository" green button when the default Public was selected, but I do not see any terminal type window as shown in the Create A Repo page.  I don't know how to get to the prompt that allows me to create and commit my README file or push my commit.

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Christopher Coulon
Sorry Curtis, now I understand I should be using my Terminal.  Sometimes I have to ask a silly question before I can discover the answer for myself!  :-)

Chris

On Jun 26, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Curtis Rueden wrote:

Read the guide, step 3, "push your commit":

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Curtis Rueden
Hi Chris,

Great, I see that you have a repo at:

If you can push your actual project there (using "git add" and "git commit" and "git push") that would make it much easier to diagnose your continuing problems.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Christopher Coulon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry Curtis, now I understand I should be using my Terminal.  Sometimes I have to ask a silly question before I can discover the answer for myself!  :-)

Chris

On Jun 26, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Curtis Rueden wrote:

Read the guide, step 3, "push your commit":

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Christopher Coulon
Hi Chris,

Great, I see that you have a repo at:

If you can push your actual project there (using "git add" and "git commit" and "git push") that would make it much easier to diagnose your continuing problems.

I went through all the steps in the Create a Repo page, but it was only created on my computer.

I am not really succeeding at the tutorial.  I created the Hello-World file on my computer, but get an error when following the "Push your commit" instructions:

ChrisGAIAG:Hello-World chris$ git remote add origin https://github.com/ad1054/Hello-World.git
fatal: remote origin already exists.

and another with this:

ChrisGAIAG:Hello-World chris$ git push origin master
Username for 'https://github.com': ad1054
Password for 'https://ad1054@...':
fatal: https://github.com/ad1054/Hello-World.git/info/refs not found: did you run git update-server-info on the server?

I am confused (obviously) and am not sure how to use these instructions to upload my project, since I can't even upload a test file.  I'm sure it is something simple, but it eludes me...

Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Curtis Rueden
Hi Chris,

What does 'git remote -v' say?

-Curtis