Fiji.sc or ImageJ.net

Nico Stuurman
Would it be possible to explain somewhere public the relation between Fiji.sc and ImageJ.net for both visitors and contributors?  It appears these are the same with a different skin, but whereas editing a page on Fiji.sc results in a server error, editing ImageJ.net is OK.  Some explanation to contributors, for instance in a welcome email after registering would save time.

Best,

Nico

Re: Fiji.sc or ImageJ.net

Curtis Rueden
Hi Nico,

> Would it be possible to explain somewhere public the relation between
> Fiji.sc and ImageJ.net for both visitors and contributors?

This is a good discussion to have with the community.

Up till now, the idea has been that fiji.sc is more appropriate when giving links to Fiji-specific content (e.g., http://fiji.sc/Fiji_contribution_requirements), whereas imagej.net is best for topics relevant to ImageJ in general.

But, I think it will continue to be a source of confusion moving forward. It might be best if all fiji.sc URLs simply redirect to imagej.net in the future. What do others think?

> It appears these are the same with a different skin

That is correct.

> editing a page on Fiji.sc results in a server error

It should work if you click the "Edit source" link. The "Edit" link tries to load the WYSIWYG editor, which is currently broken. That said, I personally always just use imagej.net to edit.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Nico Stuurman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Would it be possible to explain somewhere public the relation between Fiji.sc and ImageJ.net for both visitors and contributors?  It appears these are the same with a different skin, but whereas editing a page on Fiji.sc results in a server error, editing ImageJ.net is OK.  Some explanation to contributors, for instance in a welcome email after registering would save time.

Best,

Nico

Re: Fiji.sc or ImageJ.net

Curtis Rueden
Hi Nico,

A couple other details I forgot:

1) imagej.net is more than just the wiki. It also serves ImageJ1 content; e.g.:

- The ImageJ1 home page

- A wiki page

This works via proxying: imagej.net forwards the request to either http://mirror.imagej.net/ or http://wiki.imagej.net/ depending on the URL requested.

2) fiji.sc has a couple of bells and whistles not present on imagej.net:

- The Git repository mirrors: http://fiji.sc/git
- The search shortcuts—e.g.: http://fiji.sc/ImageJ.java

For the Git mirrors, my preference would be to put them on GitHub instead.

For the search shortcuts, we now have http://search.imagej.net/ which is hopefully a better search solution overall (though there are pros and cons).

Hi Nico,