Help! - Maven/Eclipse problem with fiji.sc dependencies

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help! - Maven/Eclipse problem with fiji.sc dependencies

Tobias Pietzsch
Hi,
I'm having suddenly many "bad pom" errors in Eclipse.
For the SpimViewer project, I narrowed it down to the following:
If I remove all sc.fiji projects from the dependencies, it builds fine (except for compile errors related to classes in those missing dependencies)
For me, the fiji.sc dependencies are
<dependency>
<groupId>sc.fiji</groupId>
<artifactId>SPIM_Opener</artifactId>
<version>2.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>sc.fiji</groupId>
<artifactId>SPIM_Registration</artifactId>
<version>2.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
Enabling any of these causes trouble.

From command line maven, everything builds fine.

I made a new Eclipse workspace, cloned (only) the SpimViewer project into it and tried again. Same problem.
I'm seeing errors like this one:

ArtifactDescriptorException: Failed to read artifact descriptor for net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:jar:${sezpoz.version}: ArtifactResolutionException: Failure to transfer net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:pom:${sezpoz.version} from http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of imagej.releases has elapsed or updates are forced. Original error: Could not transfer artifact net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:pom:${sezpoz.version} from/to imagej.releases (http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases): Illegal character in path at index 78: <a href="http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases/net/java/sezpoz/sezpoz/${sezpoz.version}/sezpoz-${sezpoz.version}.pom">http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases/net/java/sezpoz/sezpoz/${sezpoz.version}/sezpoz-${sezpoz.version}.pom pom.xml /SpimViewer line 1 Maven Dependency Problem

(Indeed, I have a directory .m2/repository/net/java/sezpoz/sezpoz/${sezpoz.version} now)

The weird thing is that from the command line everything works.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? This basically stops me from working completely…

thanks for any help,
Tobias

_______________________________________________
ImageJ-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://imagej.net/mailman/listinfo/imagej-devel

signature.asc (465 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [fiji-devel] Help! - Maven/Eclipse problem with fiji.sc dependencies

Tobias Pietzsch
Hi,

I just deleted my .m2 directory and let Eclipse download the internet again to fill it.
The problem persists :(

Tobias

On Jan 17, 2014, at 3:15 AM, Tobias Pietzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
I'm having suddenly many "bad pom" errors in Eclipse.
For the SpimViewer project, I narrowed it down to the following:
If I remove all sc.fiji projects from the dependencies, it builds fine (except for compile errors related to classes in those missing dependencies)
For me, the fiji.sc dependencies are
<dependency>
<groupId>sc.fiji</groupId>
<artifactId>SPIM_Opener</artifactId>
<version>2.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>sc.fiji</groupId>
<artifactId>SPIM_Registration</artifactId>
<version>2.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
Enabling any of these causes trouble.

From command line maven, everything builds fine.

I made a new Eclipse workspace, cloned (only) the SpimViewer project into it and tried again. Same problem.
I'm seeing errors like this one:

ArtifactDescriptorException: Failed to read artifact descriptor for net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:jar:${sezpoz.version}: ArtifactResolutionException: Failure to transfer net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:pom:${sezpoz.version} from http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of imagej.releases has elapsed or updates are forced. Original error: Could not transfer artifact net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:pom:${sezpoz.version} from/to imagej.releases (http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases): Illegal character in path at index 78: <a href="http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases/net/java/sezpoz/sezpoz/${sezpoz.version}/sezpoz-${sezpoz.version}.pom">http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases/net/java/sezpoz/sezpoz/${sezpoz.version}/sezpoz-${sezpoz.version}.pom pom.xml /SpimViewer line 1 Maven Dependency Problem

(Indeed, I have a directory .m2/repository/net/java/sezpoz/sezpoz/${sezpoz.version} now)

The weird thing is that from the command line everything works.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? This basically stops me from working completely…

thanks for any help,
Tobias


_______________________________________________
ImageJ-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://imagej.net/mailman/listinfo/imagej-devel

signature.asc (465 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [fiji-devel] Help! - Maven/Eclipse problem with fiji.sc dependencies

Stephan Preibisch
Hi Tobias,

that might be related to the fact that I externalized the SPIM_Registration I guess ... can you maybe try to just check out the git repository instead?


Steffi

On Jan 16, 2014, at 21:28 , Tobias Pietzsch wrote:

Hi,

I just deleted my .m2 directory and let Eclipse download the internet again to fill it.
The problem persists :(

Tobias

On Jan 17, 2014, at 3:15 AM, Tobias Pietzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
I'm having suddenly many "bad pom" errors in Eclipse.
For the SpimViewer project, I narrowed it down to the following:
If I remove all sc.fiji projects from the dependencies, it builds fine (except for compile errors related to classes in those missing dependencies)
For me, the fiji.sc dependencies are
<dependency>
<groupId>sc.fiji</groupId>
<artifactId>SPIM_Opener</artifactId>
<version>2.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>sc.fiji</groupId>
<artifactId>SPIM_Registration</artifactId>
<version>2.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
Enabling any of these causes trouble.

From command line maven, everything builds fine.

I made a new Eclipse workspace, cloned (only) the SpimViewer project into it and tried again. Same problem.
I'm seeing errors like this one:

ArtifactDescriptorException: Failed to read artifact descriptor for net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:jar:${sezpoz.version}: ArtifactResolutionException: Failure to transfer net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:pom:${sezpoz.version} from http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of imagej.releases has elapsed or updates are forced. Original error: Could not transfer artifact net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:pom:${sezpoz.version} from/to imagej.releases (http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases): Illegal character in path at index 78: <a href="http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases/net/java/sezpoz/sezpoz/${sezpoz.version}/sezpoz-${sezpoz.version}.pom">http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases/net/java/sezpoz/sezpoz/${sezpoz.version}/sezpoz-${sezpoz.version}.pom pom.xml /SpimViewer line 1 Maven Dependency Problem

(Indeed, I have a directory .m2/repository/net/java/sezpoz/sezpoz/${sezpoz.version} now)

The weird thing is that from the command line everything works.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? This basically stops me from working completely…

thanks for any help,
Tobias


---

Dr. Stephan Preibisch
HFSP Fellow
Robert H. Singer / Eugene Myers lab

Albert Einstein College of Medicine / HHMI Janelia Farm / MPI-CBG



_______________________________________________
ImageJ-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://imagej.net/mailman/listinfo/imagej-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help! - Maven/Eclipse problem with fiji.sc dependencies

dscho
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tobias Pietzsch
Hi Tobias,

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014, Tobias Pietzsch wrote:

> ArtifactDescriptorException: Failed to read artifact descriptor for
> net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:jar:${sezpoz.version}:
> ArtifactResolutionException: Failure to transfer
> net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:pom:${sezpoz.version} from
> http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases was cached in the
> local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update
> interval of imagej.releases has elapsed or updates are forced.

We do not use Sezpoz anymore. I can only imagine that m2e (i.e. Eclipse's
Maven support) cached the need for it somewhere, or that one of your
other dependencies does. The pom-scijava does not define the
sezpoz.version anymore.

A workaround would be to define sezpoz.version to 1.9-imagej, a proper
solution would be to find out what is causing that dependency to be drawn
in and update it accordingly.

> The weird thing is that from the command line everything works.

Command-line Maven is quite a bit more correct in its interpretation of
the project configuration than m2e (or for that matter, than MiniMaven).

Ciao,
Johannes

_______________________________________________
ImageJ-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://imagej.net/mailman/listinfo/imagej-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help! - Maven/Eclipse problem with fiji.sc dependencies

Tobias Pietzsch
Hi Johannes,

thanks a lot for those pointers! I think I found it!
I traced it down to pom-fiji. It still has this section https://github.com/fiji/fiji/blob/master/pom.xml#L165-180
                <profile>
                        <id>eclipse</id>
                        <activation>
                                <property>
                                        <name>m2e.version</name>
                                </property>
                        </activation>
                        <dependencies>
                                <dependency>
                                        <groupId>net.java.sezpoz</groupId>
                                        <artifactId>sezpoz</artifactId>
                                        <version>${sezpoz.version}</version>
                                </dependency>
                        </dependencies>
                </profile>
which pulls in sezpoz with the undefined version.
I'm still working to put my setup back together into a working state, but that seems to be the cause of it.

Btw, can you recommend a good way to trace through the pom dependency tree?
I used a combination of Eclipse's "Effective pom", grep-ing in ~/.m2/repository, and pure luck… Are there better tools?

best regards,
Tobias


On Jan 17, 2014, at 2:39 PM, Johannes Schindelin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014, Tobias Pietzsch wrote:

ArtifactDescriptorException: Failed to read artifact descriptor for
net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:jar:${sezpoz.version}:
ArtifactResolutionException: Failure to transfer
net.java.sezpoz:sezpoz:pom:${sezpoz.version} from
http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/releases was cached in the
local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update
interval of imagej.releases has elapsed or updates are forced.

We do not use Sezpoz anymore. I can only imagine that m2e (i.e. Eclipse's
Maven support) cached the need for it somewhere, or that one of your
other dependencies does. The pom-scijava does not define the
sezpoz.version anymore.

A workaround would be to define sezpoz.version to 1.9-imagej, a proper
solution would be to find out what is causing that dependency to be drawn
in and update it accordingly.

The weird thing is that from the command line everything works.

Command-line Maven is quite a bit more correct in its interpretation of
the project configuration than m2e (or for that matter, than MiniMaven).

Ciao,
Johannes


_______________________________________________
ImageJ-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://imagej.net/mailman/listinfo/imagej-devel

signature.asc (465 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [fiji-devel] Re: Help! - Maven/Eclipse problem with fiji.sc dependencies

Mark Hiner-2
Hi Tobias,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Tobias Pietzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Btw, can you recommend a good way to trace through the pom dependency tree?
I used a combination of Eclipse's "Effective pom", grep-ing in ~/.m2/repository, and pure luck… Are there better tools?

Personally, I like to use the dependency:tree plugin from the command line, and I prefer the "Dependency Hierarchy" in Eclipse (which is basically the same as dependency:tree, and perhaps easier to read).

The Effective POM can be helpful, but I find it to be too much information when you're just trying to figure out dependencies.

- Mark

_______________________________________________
ImageJ-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://imagej.net/mailman/listinfo/imagej-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [fiji-devel] Re: Help! - Maven/Eclipse problem with fiji.sc dependencies

Tobias Pietzsch
Hi Mark,

thanks! I must be blind that I didn't notice the "Dependency Hierarchy" in Eclipse myself… Very cool.

best regards,
Tobias

On Jan 17, 2014, at 4:08 PM, Mark Hiner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Tobias Pietzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Btw, can you recommend a good way to trace through the pom dependency tree?
I used a combination of Eclipse's "Effective pom", grep-ing in ~/.m2/repository, and pure luck… Are there better tools?

Personally, I like to use the dependency:tree plugin from the command line, and I prefer the "Dependency Hierarchy" in Eclipse (which is basically the same as dependency:tree, and perhaps easier to read).

The Effective POM can be helpful, but I find it to be too much information when you're just trying to figure out dependencies.

- Mark

--
--
Please avoid top-posting, and please make sure to reply-to-all!
 
Mailing list web interface: http://groups.google.com/group/fiji-devel
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Fiji-devel" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


_______________________________________________
ImageJ-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://imagej.net/mailman/listinfo/imagej-devel

signature.asc (465 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [fiji-devel] Re: Help! - Maven/Eclipse problem with fiji.sc dependencies

Curtis Rueden
Hi Tobias, Mark & everyone,

> I like to use the dependency:tree plugin from the command line

So do I, but I want to caution that I have had problems with it in Maven 3.x. I have seen it produce obviously wrong results in some cases. Not sure whether it is fixed with the latest versions of things, but be careful. I have not noticed any errors in Eclipse's Dependency Hierarchy, but I have also used it much less.

Regards,
Curtis


On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Tobias Pietzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mark,

thanks! I must be blind that I didn't notice the "Dependency Hierarchy" in Eclipse myself… Very cool.

best regards,
Tobias

On Jan 17, 2014, at 4:08 PM, Mark Hiner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Tobias Pietzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Btw, can you recommend a good way to trace through the pom dependency tree?
I used a combination of Eclipse's "Effective pom", grep-ing in ~/.m2/repository, and pure luck… Are there better tools?

Personally, I like to use the dependency:tree plugin from the command line, and I prefer the "Dependency Hierarchy" in Eclipse (which is basically the same as dependency:tree, and perhaps easier to read).

The Effective POM can be helpful, but I find it to be too much information when you're just trying to figure out dependencies.

- Mark

--
--
Please avoid top-posting, and please make sure to reply-to-all!
 
Mailing list web interface: http://groups.google.com/group/fiji-devel
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Fiji-devel" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.



_______________________________________________
ImageJ-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://imagej.net/mailman/listinfo/imagej-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [fiji-devel] Re: Help! - Maven/Eclipse problem with fiji.sc dependencies

Mark Hiner-2
Hi Tobias,

A workaround would be to define sezpoz.version to 1.9-imagej, a proper
solution would be to find out what is causing that dependency to be drawn
in and update it accordingly.

I believe problem here is a leftover m2e profile hack in pom-fiji. This causes the pom.xml to include a sezpoz dependency only in eclipse, at which point you got the observed failure that sezpoz.version is no longer defined. This effectively broke every project using pom-fiji in eclipse.

Filed a PR with the fix. Since pom-fiji is purely snapshot based, as soon as the PR is merged, built and deployed, this issue should just go away.

- Mark


On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Curtis Rueden <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tobias, Mark & everyone,

> I like to use the dependency:tree plugin from the command line

So do I, but I want to caution that I have had problems with it in Maven 3.x. I have seen it produce obviously wrong results in some cases. Not sure whether it is fixed with the latest versions of things, but be careful. I have not noticed any errors in Eclipse's Dependency Hierarchy, but I have also used it much less.

Regards,
Curtis


On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Tobias Pietzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mark,

thanks! I must be blind that I didn't notice the "Dependency Hierarchy" in Eclipse myself… Very cool.

best regards,
Tobias

On Jan 17, 2014, at 4:08 PM, Mark Hiner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Tobias Pietzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Btw, can you recommend a good way to trace through the pom dependency tree?
I used a combination of Eclipse's "Effective pom", grep-ing in ~/.m2/repository, and pure luck… Are there better tools?

Personally, I like to use the dependency:tree plugin from the command line, and I prefer the "Dependency Hierarchy" in Eclipse (which is basically the same as dependency:tree, and perhaps easier to read).

The Effective POM can be helpful, but I find it to be too much information when you're just trying to figure out dependencies.

- Mark

--
--
Please avoid top-posting, and please make sure to reply-to-all!
 
Mailing list web interface: http://groups.google.com/group/fiji-devel
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Fiji-devel" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.




_______________________________________________
ImageJ-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://imagej.net/mailman/listinfo/imagej-devel