[ImgLib2] moved revised DoG detection to algorithms-core.

[ImgLib2] moved revised DoG detection to algorithms-core.

Tobias Pietzsch
Hi all,

I would like to put a revised version of the DoG detection implementation into imglib2-algorithms core.
I pushed it in a branch "dog" https://github.com/imagej/imglib/commits/dog.

I would have merged to master, but I'm having slight reservations because this requires the addition of two dependencies.
First a dependency on imglib2-meta, this is for convenience to use calibration of ImgPlus and could be possibly removed.
Second is a dependency on JAMA.

What is your opinion? Is it okay to add these dependencies? Or should I rather move this stuff to some other place? If so, where?

best regards,
Tobias

Re: [fiji-devel] [ImgLib2] moved revised DoG detection to algorithms-core.

Barry DeZonia
Hi Tobi,

Just so you're aware I was modifying the calibration code in imglib2-meta on the nonlinear-goodies branch which I was going to merge today but will postpone to next week to allow Curtis time for review. Maybe you can merge the branch into the working copy of your project and see how it will affect your code. This might help you decide about the imglib2-meta dependency.

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Tobias Pietzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to put a revised version of the DoG detection implementation into imglib2-algorithms core.
I pushed it in a branch "dog" https://github.com/imagej/imglib/commits/dog.

I would have merged to master, but I'm having slight reservations because this requires the addition of two dependencies.
First a dependency on imglib2-meta, this is for convenience to use calibration of ImgPlus and could be possibly removed.
Second is a dependency on JAMA.

What is your opinion? Is it okay to add these dependencies? Or should I rather move this stuff to some other place? If so, where?

best regards,
Tobias

Re: [ImgLib2] moved revised DoG detection to algorithms-core.

dscho
Administrator
Hi Tobias,

IMHO https://github.com/imagej/imglib/compare/dog shows it better ;-)

> I would have merged to master, but I'm having slight reservations
> because this requires the addition of two dependencies.

Actually, I am happy to see that the reluctance to add dependencies has
waned a bit ;-)

> First a dependency on imglib2-meta, this is for convenience to use
> calibration of ImgPlus and could be possibly removed.

Note that imglib2-meta *will* depend on scijava-common soon, to avoid
wheel reinvention. That is not a big problem IMO because scijava-common is
developed very carefully, avoiding at high maintenance cost to introduce
backwards-incompatibilities or other possibly breaking changes. So I'm all
for it.

> Second is a dependency on JAMA.

Steffi identified a hard crash (IIRC) with some JVMs that we fixed in
Fiji. We used to call that "version 1.0.2" but that is wrong, of course.
We should probably call it "1.0.3-fiji1" or some such; question is whether
we want to care about those JVM crashes at all? After all, those JVMs have
been superseded by later JVMs that apparently do not expose those crashes.

> What is your opinion? Is it okay to add these dependencies? Or should I
> rather move this stuff to some other place? If so, where?

As I said, I like to avoid reinventing the wheel and add dependencies
instead. The whole point of using Maven is to manage dependencies, after
all.

So: thumbs up from my side!

Ciao,
Dscho