Project development in Netbeans - where to develop after setup?

Project development in Netbeans - where to develop after setup?

Christopher Coulon
I have set up ImageJ in Netbeans according to instructions at

However, the instructions only show how to set up Netbeans.  There are no instructions demonstrating how to develop plugins, e.g., where in the resulting ImageJ Projects project do I develop my java files?

This is the project structure after completing the Developing ImageJ in Netbeans instructions:

If I wanted to write, say, a "Hello World" java class, where do I write it so that is shows up in the ImageJ plugins menu when I run or debug from Netbeans to generate the ImageJ instance?

Thank you.

Chris Coulon

Christopher Coulon, Ph.D.
The GAIA Group

Re: Project development in Netbeans - where to develop after setup?

dscho
Administrator
Hi Chris,

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Chris wrote:

> If I wanted to write, say, a "Hello World" java class, where do I write
> it so that is shows up in the ImageJ plugins menu when I run or debug
> from Netbeans to generate the ImageJ instance?

Please have a look at the examples here:

        https://github.com/imagej/imagej-tutorials

Most of these projects do not implement plugins but instead show how to
use ImageJ2 and its plugins.

I will add examples for plugins as time allows, but here is the simplest
"Hello World" I could come up with:

        https://github.com/imagej/imagej-tutorials/blob/master/simple-command/src/main/java/HelloWorldPlugin.java

Ciao,
Johannes

Re: Project development in Netbeans - where to develop after setup?

Christopher Coulon
If I wanted to write, say, a "Hello World" java class, where do I write
it so that is shows up in the ImageJ plugins menu when I run or debug
from Netbeans to generate the ImageJ instance?

Please have a look at the examples here:

https://github.com/imagej/imagej-tutorials

Most of these projects do not implement plugins but instead show how to
use ImageJ2 and its plugins.

I will add examples for plugins as time allows, but here is the simplest
"Hello World" I could come up with:

https://github.com/imagej/imagej-tutorials/blob/master/simple-command/src/main/java/HelloWorldPlugin.java

What I need is where to build my .java files so that they get properly compiled into class files that show up in the plugins folder of the ImageJ instance created by Netbeans when run or debug is called in the project.  The Netbeans project has two main folders, Modules and Project Files, but I don't see where I should create my .java files and where to put my resources folder containing images used in the GUIs.

Chris

Re: Project development in Netbeans - where to develop after setup?

dscho
Administrator
Hi Christopher,

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Christopher Coulon wrote:

> >> If I wanted to write, say, a "Hello World" java class, where do I
> >> write it so that is shows up in the ImageJ plugins menu when I run or
> >> debug from Netbeans to generate the ImageJ instance?
> >
> > Please have a look at the examples here:
> >
> > https://github.com/imagej/imagej-tutorials
> >
> > Most of these projects do not implement plugins but instead show how to
> > use ImageJ2 and its plugins.
> >
> > I will add examples for plugins as time allows, but here is the simplest
> > "Hello World" I could come up with:
> >
> > https://github.com/imagej/imagej-tutorials/blob/master/simple-command/src/main/java/HelloWorldPlugin.java
>
> What I need is where to build my .java files so that they get properly
> compiled into class files that show up in the plugins folder of the
> ImageJ instance created by Netbeans when run or debug is called in the
> project.

You do not need to build ImageJ itself when you use Maven. In fact, it is
much better to use the version of ImageJ deployed to the Maven repository,
*unless* you want to fix a bug or otherwise enhance ImageJ itself.

> The Netbeans project has two main folders, Modules and Project Files,
> but I don't see where I should create my .java files and where to put my
> resources folder containing images used in the GUIs.

I will have a look and try to come up with a screencast.

Ciao,
Johannes

Re: Project development in Netbeans - where to develop after setup?

Christopher Coulon
> Hi Christopher,

>>> Please have a look at the examples here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/imagej/imagej-tutorials
>>>
>>> Most of these projects do not implement plugins but instead show how to
>>> use ImageJ2 and its plugins.
>>>
>>> I will add examples for plugins as time allows, but here is the simplest
>>> "Hello World" I could come up with:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/imagej/imagej-tutorials/blob/master/simple-command/src/main/java/HelloWorldPlugin.java
>>
>> What I need is where to build my .java files so that they get properly
>> compiled into class files that show up in the plugins folder of the
>> ImageJ instance created by Netbeans when run or debug is called in the
>> project.
>
> You do not need to build ImageJ itself when you use Maven. In fact, it is
> much better to use the version of ImageJ deployed to the Maven repository,
> *unless* you want to fix a bug or otherwise enhance ImageJ itself.

Yes, I know that, I only need to build my project.

>> The Netbeans project has two main folders, Modules and Project Files,
>> but I don't see where I should create my .java files and where to put my
>> resources folder containing images used in the GUIs.
>
> I will have a look and try to come up with a screencast.

Thanks!  :-)

Chris

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Christopher Coulon wrote:
>
> > The Netbeans project has two main folders, Modules and Project Files,
> > but I don't see where I should create my .java files and where to put
> > my resources folder containing images used in the GUIs.
>
> I will have a look and try to come up with a screencast.

Here is the screencast:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac-6gJ2eRb0

It shows in a very detailed manner how to clone the template for ImageJ
1.x plugins and how to adjust, build and run the project.

Ciao,
Johannes