Re: ImageJ distributions for Linux

Curtis Rueden
Hi Wayne,

> I have been able to create ImageJ distributions for Mac and Windows
> that bundle Java 8, but not for Linux.

Sorry for the delay in reply. I had to upgrade my Ubuntu Linux VM through several new releases to get to 15.04 so that the openjdk-8 packages would be available, and I could attempt to reproduce.

I was able to build a Debian Linux package for ImageJ2 by installing the openjdk-8-jdk and openjfx packages, then running "mvn -Pdist" from the imagej/imagej working copy. (I did not test for imagej/ImageJA but I expect it also works.)

> on Linux, with Java 8, I get this error
>
>    Error occurred during initialization of VM
>   java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
>
> I get the same error if I try to run ImageJ using the Fiji launcher. I
> tried setting the JAVA_HOME property, but that didn’t help.

I have not seen that error, but a web search found this StackOverflow post, which is probably worth checking out:

In short, it sounds like an installation issue with Java itself. Did you install using your distro's package manager?

HTH,
Curtis

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Rasband, Wayne (NIH/NIMH) [E] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Curtis,

I have a question. I have been able to create ImageJ distributions for Mac and Windows that bundle Java 8, but not for Linux. On Mac and Windows, and Linux with Java 6, I can run ImageJ by typing

    ./jre/bin/java -jar ij.jar

But, on Linux, with Java 8, I get this error

   java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

I get the same error if I try to run ImageJ using the Fiji launcher. I tried setting the JAVA_HOME property, but that didn’t help.

Best regards,

-wayne

Re: ImageJ distributions for Linux

Curtis Rueden

HI Wayne,

Great, glad to hear!

On Jul 13, 2015 10:37 PM, "Rasband, Wayne (NIH/NIMH) [E]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Curtis,

> On Jul 13, 2015, at 2:56 PM, Curtis Rueden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > on Linux, with Java 8, I get this error
> >
> >    Error occurred during initialization of VM
> >   java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
> >
> > I get the same error if I try to run ImageJ using the Fiji launcher. I
> > tried setting the JAVA_HOME property, but that didn’t help.
>
> I have not seen that error, but a web search found this StackOverflow post, which is probably worth checking out:
>
>    http://stackoverflow.com/q/11808829
>
> In short, it sounds like an installation issue with Java itself. Did you install using your distro's package manager?

Thanks. It was an installation error. I had not installed Java 8. The StackOverflow post had the solution, which is to unpack the *.pack files in the ire/lib folder.

Best regards,

-wayne