Re: Stack overflow error with screen size computation

Re: Stack overflow error with screen size computation

Curtis Rueden
Hi Wayne,

[CCing imagej-devel, since this discussion may be of interest to other developers, particularly my colleague Mark Hiner who is working on these issues now.]

> The ImageJ launcher does not work with ImageJ1 on OS X because it
> assumes the plugins directory is in the ImageJ.app directory when it
> is actually in the same directory as ImageJ.app.

Thanks, I filed an issue so we won't forget:

Mark Hiner's main project for the summer is issues with launching and distribution, so hopefully we'll see some progress on the robustness, especially on OS X.

> Another problem with the launcher on OS X is that I have not found a
> way to get it to use an embedded JRE. I tried putting a Java 8 JRE in
> Image.app/jre but the launcher did not use it.

I filed an issue for that too:

Although I did not test it with the latest version of the launcher since Johannes improved the Java version selection.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Rasband, Wayne (NIH/NIMH) [E] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2015, at 12:31 PM, Curtis Rueden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Wayne,
>
> A bug report came up in the imagejdev IRC chat room today [1], about a
> StackOverflowError that sometimes happens when ImageJ starts up [2]. In
> this user's case, he said it was due to the use of three monitors.
> Personally, I have also seen the issue when I "ssh -X" to a remote server
> and run ImageJ from there. Looking at the code, I am guessing it would be a
> straightforward bug to address, by avoiding recursive cycles between those
> three methods.

Hi Curtis,

This bug should be fixed in the latest ImageJ daily build (1.49q22). Please ask the user with three monitors to verify that the fix works.

Here is a bug report for you. The ImageJ launcher does not work with ImageJ1 on OS X because it assumes the plugins directory is in the ImageJ.app directory when it is actually in the same directory as ImageJ.app. Is there a way to fix this problem, or to work around it?

Another problem with the launcher on OS X is that I have not found a way to get it to use an embedded JRE. I tried putting a Java 8 JRE in Image.app/jre but the launcher did not use it. I would like to include the JRE with ImageJ on OS X and avoid all the problems associated with requiring the user to install an Apple or Oracle Java. I would also like to be able to test ImageJ on the latest and greatest machines at Apple stores but I can not longer do this because you are no longer able to install Java without an administrator password.

Best regards,

-wayne

Re: Stack overflow error with screen size computation

Rasband, Wayne (NIH/NIMH) [E]
Hi Curtis,

> On May 28, 2015, at 6:11 PM, Curtis Rueden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Wayne,
>
> [CCing imagej-devel, since this discussion may be of interest to other developers, particularly my colleague Mark Hiner who is working on these issues now.]
>
> > The ImageJ launcher does not work with ImageJ1 on OS X because it
> > assumes the plugins directory is in the ImageJ.app directory when it
> > is actually in the same directory as ImageJ.app.
>
> Thanks, I filed an issue so we won't forget:
>   https://github.com/imagej/imagej-launcher/issues/31
>
> Mark Hiner's main project for the summer is issues with launching and distribution, so hopefully we'll see some progress on the robustness, especially on OS X.
>
> > Another problem with the launcher on OS X is that I have not found a
> > way to get it to use an embedded JRE. I tried putting a Java 8 JRE in
> > Image.app/jre but the launcher did not use it.
>
> I filed an issue for that too:
>   https://github.com/imagej/imagej-launcher/issues/32
>
> Although I did not test it with the latest version of the launcher since Johannes improved the Java version selection.

There is a OS X version of ImageJ bundled with Java 1.8.0_40 at

   http://wsr.imagej.net/download/ImageJ-osx-java8.zip

It works surprisingly well now that Oracle has fixed the bug that caused image drawing on OS X to be excruciatingly slow. It uses this simple ‘run’ script as a launcher:

   #!/bin/bash
   cd `dirname $0`
   ./jre/bin/java -Xmx4g -jar ij.jar

There are a couple of problems with this script. It opens a Terminal window and you cannot set the memory limit in the Edit>Options>Memory & Threads dialog box.

Best regards,

-wayne