Updater suicide

Stephan Saalfeld-2
Hi,

I downloaded a fresh Fiji version, updated, built it successfully at

https://github.com/fiji/fiji/pull/117

with

mvn clean install \
 -Dimagej.app.directory=$HOME/packages/Fiji.app/ \
 -Ddelete.other.versions=true

, tested it, and then followed

http://fiji.sc/How_to_upload_to_core_update_sites

to upload the result.  While attempting to input

Host: webdav:Saalfeld

I observed a number of exceptions that I unfortunately did not track.
Instead, I closed the window, and restarted Fiji.  Since then, each
attempt to start the updater sends me into the (screenshot)-attached
exception from which I cannot do anything.  Fiji itself works, just the
updater has committed suicide.

Any help highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephan

Fiji-uploader.png (492K) Download Attachment

Re: Updater suicide

Stephan Saalfeld-2
Hi,

for the record, I managed to work around this.  The necessary sequence
of operations is:

1. Download a fresh version of Fiji.
2. Start the updater (it finds that Fiji is up to date) and enter the
credentials as described at

http://fiji.sc/How_to_upload_to_core_update_sites

3. Close Fiji.
4. Build Fiji with

mvn clean install \
 -Dimagej.app.directory=$HOME/packages/Fiji.app/ \
 -Ddelete.other.versions=true

5. Start Fiji, and start the updater (it now finds something to update).
6. Update Fiji.
7. Restart Fiji.
8. Start the updater, mark all local changes for upload, upload.

Done.

Hooray!

Best,
Stephan

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 20:48 -0400, Stephan Saalfeld wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded a fresh Fiji version, updated, built it successfully at
>
> https://github.com/fiji/fiji/pull/117
>
> with
>
> mvn clean install \
>  -Dimagej.app.directory=$HOME/packages/Fiji.app/ \
>  -Ddelete.other.versions=true
>
> , tested it, and then followed
>
> http://fiji.sc/How_to_upload_to_core_update_sites
>
> to upload the result.  While attempting to input
>
> Host: webdav:Saalfeld
>
> I observed a number of exceptions that I unfortunately did not track.
> Instead, I closed the window, and restarted Fiji.  Since then, each
> attempt to start the updater sends me into the (screenshot)-attached
> exception from which I cannot do anything.  Fiji itself works, just the
> updater has committed suicide.
>
> Any help highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Stephan

Re: Updater suicide

Mark Hiner
Hi Stephan,

Apologies in advance if you worked with Curtis on this and I'm contradicting anything he said.

> 8. Start the updater, mark all local changes for upload, upload.

It looks like you completed the upload, given that the mpicbg version on the update site is 1.0.1. I'm glad you got it working, but wanted to point out that this upload breaks synchronization with the source since it's based off a topic branch and not master.

More concerning is the fact that, by default, this branch can't actually be built because it references a release of pom-fiji that doesn't exist yet.

I see you made a pom-fiji 9.0.0 release commit. Note that this did not actually release pom-fiji 9.0.0 because it's on a topic branch. Jenkins is only configured to build and deploy Maven artifacts from master. Merging the branch now will not retroactively cause 9.0.0 to be released, because after merging the branch its HEAD will be a SNAPSHOT version - and only HEAD commits are built.

Anyway, I updated the release instructions to clarify that the 2 commit method only works on master. I also expanded the core update site instructions to better explain how we want these sites to be maintained.

We are, of course, still doomed until update site + source are synchronized automatically. But hopefully things are a little clearer now. Please let me know if they aren't, or if you have any suggestions on how to make things better.

Thanks,
Mark